Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL
Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Thursday, July 15, 2010

District Champs/ New Program

Last weekend was the District 19 Championships at Gull Lake. This is a small lake near Kalamazoo, MI. When I arrived I realized I would be the only radial sailing against 25 other full rigs(meaning my sail was 33% smaller than everyone elses)... not the most exciting thing to think of at a small lake light air event. But since I was doing it for Grand Prix points and I was already there I decided to make a learning experience out of it. Since I knew I would be the slowest boat on the course the trick would be to do very smart sailing and catch every advantage possible!

The first race I was able to have a beautiful start and was able to hold out for fourth which I was pretty happy with considering. The next race I was able to get another very fast, clean start and was able to lead the race for two legs until I was over taken by two sailors on the second upwind. After these two races I had trouble getting nice starts and after it was hard to pick my perfect race to stay ahead of the full rigs. I also think people got irritated with the little sail beating them. Overall I finished 9th and won my fleet of course.

I have also lately taken some personal lessons on weight lifting for mass gain with a very knowledgeable guy at my gym. Just having completed my lessons I will work on gaining my goal of 15lbs by November in order for my body to peak at Midwinters East in February, 2011. I am very excited to start some new things and keep moving forward.

No comments: