Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL
Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gulf Coast Championships

First of all Texas is HOTTT. I don't think ill ever fully adjust to the high 90s weather than Galveston has to offer every day. But thankfully I was well prepared with a full suit of white, gallons of water and accelerade, and way too much sunscreen.

Gulf Coast Championships was held Saturday and Sunday in the waters just off Seabrook sailing club. The one redeeming factor about this place is the sea breeze that fills in everyday around noon. So after checking in with race committe, they sent us out just around the time when the breeze was filling in... and the sun was the strongest. Overall the regatta went decently finishing 10th of 62, with one problem that I believe I have fixed over the past two sailing sessions.

I had serious trouble getting a clean start, and with a fleet of 62 a clean start makes about 80% of the race. So after races on Sunday I kept sailing, and all I practiced was acceleration which is what starting is. And yesterday I went out for three hours focusing whenever I could on starts and acceleration, joining in with other training groups on the water. By the end of the session I was feeling very confident with my starting capability. I will practice more today, and have a lay day tomorrow before North Americans start which should set me up very nicely to do my best at this major event.

No comments: