Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL
Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

CORK Day 4

Today started off with an exciting twist when after the third attempt to get a race off, the black flag went up. The fourth attempt ended on a general recall but I along with about ten other boats where over near the pin end. This meant I had to sit out the first race of the day. After a start in the second row a few well timed tacks on the first beat led me to take a second place finish in the second race! The wind had died down to about 4 knots by the beginning of the third race, and the black flag was still in effect. With the need to be cautious on the start line(due to my previous BFD(black flag)), I ended up with another poor start. After having a very slow upwind I rounded the windward mark in about 8th lo last, needless to say I had some sailing to do. After the fleet rounded the reach mark I took off at hot angle by the lee until I had gone far enough I could take that same angle towards the mark which worked out well. The next upwind was a much better than the first and I passed another chunk of boats. On the last downwind I managed to do the same thing and move up the ladder even farther rounding just in front of a large pack. I finished this race in 6th which I was very pleased with considering where I came from! One more day of racing to go, my black flag is my current throw out, and I am in the lead by ten points.

No comments: