Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL
Midwinters East, Clearwater, FL

Monday, August 16, 2010

US Nationals Final

The last day of Nationals brought with it excellent breeze for a long awaited day of sailing! The breeze was already around 12 to 15 knots as we were making the 5 mile sail downwind to the course at 930 in the morning. I warmed up my downwind technique as I went and was feeling good because we were finally sailing in some breeze!

The first race was started under a black flag, so after my incident in Texas I decided to play it safe. Starting in a position were is was hard to be seen and yet had an exit route off the start. The first race I got to the top mark around 14th or so and I realized I had some work to do. The first big puff of the day hit us while we were on the reach and by taking it low and keeping it going fast I managed to slide by two or three boats. The downwind to follow proved to be a nice run, by taking the straightest path to the mark and surfing all the way I managed to pass another four or five boats. Then I picked the correct side on the next upwind and finished the race in second.

Race two started with a bad start and i was not able to save it after fouling a competitor at the top mark. The next race went well with a bullet in the rising wind, now around 18 to 22knots. The next one went much the same except a hit the leeward mark just before the finish and had to spin letting my competitor go by. But when it was all said and done I ended up 2nd overall which I was pleased with. CORK OCR this weekend! Lots to do and thanks to Avon Sailboats in Rochester, MI for their continued support!

No comments: